Events & Speakers
The Department is pleased to offer an exciting and diverse series of speakers and other events during the school year, with scholars from around the world giving talks from all the fields Anthropology encompasses. Below you will find our current schedule. Information will be updated on a regular basis as new speakers and events are added to our line-up. Check this page often.
Upcoming Events 2016-17
The Franz Boas Speakers Series - Dr. Mark Turin - February 24, 2017
Western Anthropology Graduate Student Conference - March 3rd-5th, 2017
Graduate Research Seminar Series - 2016-17
This series is held on Fridays and features graduate students (and sometimes faculty) speakers presenting their research results on a wide variety of topics. On some Fridays, other kinds of workshops or sessions may also be held in this time slot. The Research Seminars are held in room SSC 2257 at 2:30.
2016-17 Research Seminar schedule
- December 7, 2016 - Dr. Andrea Waters-Rist - Leiden University "Novel Biorachaeological Research on Breastfeeding and Weaning Practices in Past Populations"
- November 23, 2016 - Dr. Jay Stock - University of Cambridge "Skeletal variation, behaviour, and ecology: Interpreting human adaptability and resilience in the past"
- October 13 & 14, 2016 - Spence Lecture -- Professor Michael E. Smith - Arizona State University "A New View of Teotihuacan Society" (Oct. 13), "At Home with The Aztecs" (Oct. 14)
- October 12, 2016 - Lecture -- Professor Sahar Saleem, University of Cairo, Egypt "Scanning the Pharaohs" -
- March 7, 2016 - Gehman Lecture --Heather Paxson, Massachesetts Institute of Technology "The Life of Cheese: Negotiating the Values of an Unfinished Commodity"
- January 8, 2016 - Spence Lecture --Professor Peter Dawson, University of Calgary "Smart Heritage and the Future of Digital Archaeology in northern Canada"
- October 9, 2015 - Symposium: Will the Real Franz Boas Stand Up?
- September 19 & 20, 2015 -- Museum of Archaeology Annual Harvest Festival & Pow Wow
- March 3, 2015 -- Historian Greg Smithers - Virginia Commonwealth University
"The Elimination of the Negro Type": Franz Boas, Anthropology and the Plasticity of Humankind".
- Dec 2 & 3, 2014 -- Dr. Carl Knappett, University of Toronto
"Modelling Belief in Minoan Art" (Dec 2);
"Dysfunctional Design and Poor Substitutes - A seminar on Material Culture" (Dec 3)
- November 14, 2014 -- Spence Lecture: Dr. Andrew Roddick, McMaster University
"From Ethnography to Radiography: Constellations of Potting Practice in the Lake Titicaca Basin, Bolivia"
Sponsored by the Social Science Student Donation Fund.
- November 6, 2014 -- Gehman Lecture: Dr. Luke Eric Lassiter, Marshall University, West Virginia
"Doing Ethnography Today"
- October 9, 2014 - Alex Golub - Department of Anthropology, University of Hawaii at Manoa
"Cause and Effect: Responsibility for Social Disorder at the Porgera Gold Mine"
- October 2, 2014 - MER presents Professor Dan Jorgensen - Chair, Department of Anthropology
“First Phones in Last Places: Mobility and Cell Phone Use in Papua New Guinea”