Events & Speakers
The Department is pleased to offer an exciting and diverse series of speakers and other events during the school year, with scholars from around the world giving talks from all the fields Anthropology encompasses. Below you will find our current schedule. Information will be updated on a regular basis as new speakers and events are added to our line-up. Check this page often.
Upcoming Events 2019-20
March 13, 2020 - Info Session: Non-Academic Jobs for Social Scientists - Panelists Phaedra Daipha & Becky Ellis, 1:30pm, SSC 2257
March 20, 2020 - Gehman Lecture - Dr. Lisa Stevenson, McGill University, 2:30pm, SSC 2028
"Panning for Gold in the Machángara: Reflections on Anthropology, Portraiture, and Uncommon Love" - POSTPONED
March 20-21, 2020 - WAGS 8th Annual Graduate Student Conference - CANCELLED
March 27, 2020 - Guest Speaker - Dr. Clark Spencer Larsen - Ohio State University, 2:30pm, UC 3110 (Conron Hall) "Çatalhöyök: The bioarchaeology of an Early Farming Society in Transition" - POSTPONED
April 3, 2020 - Regna Darnell Distinguished Lecture in Theory, Ethnography and Activism in Anthropology - Dr. Elizabeth Povinelli - Columbia University, 2:30pm, UC 3110 (Conron Hall)
"The Ends of Art, A Karrabing Perspective - POSTPONED
May 30-June 2, 2020 - CASCA Conference
Co-Sponsoring wiith Faculty of Information & Media Studies (FIMS)
Graduate Research Seminar Series - 2019-20
This series is held on Fridays and features graduate students (and sometimes faculty) speakers presenting their research results on a wide variety of topics. On some Fridays, other kinds of workshops or sessions may also be held in this time slot. The Research Seminars are held in room SSC 2257 at 1:30pm.
- February 28, 2020 - Dr. Craig Cipolla (Royal Ontario Museum/University of Toronto) - "In Search of Different Pasts"
- February 6-9, 2020 - Dr. Petra Kuppers (University of Michigan)
- January 16, 2020 - Lauren Gilhooly - PhD Public Lecture
- October 15, 2019 - Spence Lecture- Dr. Shari Forbes (Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières) -"What happens AFTER death?: Taphonomyof human decomposition and the role of ‘body farms’
- August 23, 2019 - Casey Kirkpatrick - PhD Public Lecture
- August 21, 2019 - Danielle Alcock - PhD Public Lecture
- August 16, 2019 - Diana Moreiras Reynaga - PhD Public Lecture
- May 28, 2019 - Kelly Linton - PhD Public Lecture
- April 18, 2019 - Jennifer Spinney - PhD Public Lecture
- April 18, 2019 - Bimadoshka Pucan - PhD Public Lecture
- April 4 & 5, 2019 - Christine Hegel (Western Connecticut State University) & Luke Cantarella (Pace University) - Collaborative CoDesigning Presentation & Workshop
- March 22, 2019 - Dr. Pamela Block - Stony Brook University - "How Should Anthropologists Occupy Disability?"
- March 20, 2019 - Bruce Lawrence - PhD Public Lecture
- March 15, 2019 - Gehman Lecture - Dr. Michael Cepek - University of Texas at San Antonio - "Standing with Oil: Anthropological Ethics and Activism on an Amazonian Petro-Frontier"
- March 14, 2019 - Visualizing Fieldwork Lecture & Workshop - Ethnocine Film Collective
- March 13, 2019 - Bad Feminists Making Films - Ethnocine Collective
- March 1-3, 2019 - WAGS 7th Annual Graduate Student Conference
- December 4, 2018 - Anthro Lecture Series - Dr. Adrienne Lo, University of Waterloo, "Encountering the Global"
- November 23, 2018 - Spence Lecture - Dr. Thijs van Kolfschoten, Leiden University, Netherlands, "Wooden Spears and Broken Bones: Lower Paleolithic hominin subsistence at Schöningen, Germany"
- October 22, 2018 - John Moody - PhD Public Lecture
- October 5, 2018 - Nathan Dawthorne - PhD Public Lecture
- October 4, 2018 - Mingyuan Zhang - PhD Public Lecture
- June 18, 2018 - Elaine McIlwraith - PhD Public Lecture
- March 29, 2018 - Dr. Scott MacEachern - Bowdoin College, “The Landscapes of Boko Haram" - Co-sponsored by Western's Africa Institute and the Dept. of History.
- March 16, 2018 - Gehman Lecture - Dr. Jason de León - University of Michigan, “Soldiers and Kings: Photoethnographic Practice in the Context of Smuggling across Mexico"
- March 9-10, 2018 - WAGS 6th Annual Graduate Conference
- February 27, 2018 - Inaugural Regna Darnell Distinguished Lecture - Dr. Joshua Smith, "Boas Died for our Sins: An Anthropologist Manifesto"
- December 15, 2017 - Jordon Munizzi - PhD Public Lecture
- November 29, 2017 - Spence Lecture - Dr. James Conolly, Trent University, "It's about time: Radiocarbon modelling and the absolute chronology of Ontario's archaeological culture history"
- November 22, 2017 - Graduate Program Open House
- October 26, 2017 - Catherine Villar - PhD Public Lecture
- October 23, 2017 - Gehman Lecture - Dr. Katja Neves - Concordia University, “Post-Normal Conservation: Reordering Biodiversity Governance”
- October 20, 2017 - Mathew Teeter - PhD Public Lecture
- October 20, 2017 - Lina Johnston - PhD Public Lecture
- September 8, 2017 - Michael Carter - PhD Public Lecture
- April 24, 2017 - Paulina Johnson - PhD Public Lecture
- February 24, 2017 - The Franz Boas Speakers' Series - Dr. Mark Turin - University of British Columbia, "Collaborations in Language: From Documentation to Resurgence"
- December 8, 2016 - Joshua Dent - PhD Public Lecture
- December 7, 2016 - Dr. Andrea Waters-Rist - Leiden University "Novel Biorachaeological Research on Breastfeeding and Weaning Practices in Past Populations"
- November 23, 2016 - Dr. Jay Stock - University of Cambridge "Skeletal variation, behaviour, and ecology: Interpreting human adaptability and resilience in the past"
- October 13 & 14, 2016 - Spence Lecture -- Professor Michael E. Smith - Arizona State University "A New View of Teotihuacan Society" (Oct. 13), "At Home with The Aztecs" (Oct. 14)
- October 12, 2016 - Lecture -- Professor Sahar Saleem, University of Cairo, Egypt "Scanning the Pharaohs"
- October 12, 2016 - Laura Kelvin - PhD Public Lecture
- May 24, 2016 - Maricarmen Vega - PhD Public Lecture
- March 7, 2016 - Gehman Lecture --Heather Paxson, Massachesetts Institute of Technology "The Life of Cheese: Negotiating the Values of an Unfinished Commodity"
- January 8, 2016 - Spence Lecture --Professor Peter Dawson, University of Calgary "Smart Heritage and the Future of Digital Archaeology in northern Canada"
- December 16, 2015 - Megan Lowthers - PhD Public Lecture
- December 3, 2015 - Joshua Smith - PhD Public Lecture
- October 9, 2015 - Symposium: Will the Real Franz Boas Stand Up?
- September 19 & 20, 2015 -- Museum of Archaeology Annual Harvest Festival & Pow Wow
- August 27, 2015 - James Keron - PhD Public Lecture
- August 19, 2015 - Ian Puppe - PhD Public Lecture
- May 19, 2015 - Zoe Morris - PhD Public Lecture
- April 22, 2015 - Flannery Surette - PhD Public Lecture
- March 3, 2015 -- Historian Greg Smithers - Virginia Commonwealth University
"The Elimination of the Negro Type": Franz Boas, Anthropology and the Plasticity of Humankind".
- January 8, 2015 - Jordan Downey - PhD Public Lecture
- Dec 2 & 3, 2014 -- Dr. Carl Knappett, University of Toronto
"Modelling Belief in Minoan Art" (Dec 2);
"Dysfunctional Design and Poor Substitutes - A seminar on Material Culture" (Dec 3)
- November 14, 2014 -- Spence Lecture: Dr. Andrew Roddick, McMaster University
"From Ethnography to Radiography: Constellations of Potting Practice in the Lake Titicaca Basin, Bolivia"
Sponsored by the Social Science Student Donation Fund.
- November 6, 2014 -- Gehman Lecture: Dr. Luke Eric Lassiter, Marshall University, West Virginia
"Doing Ethnography Today"
- October 9, 2014 - Alex Golub - Department of Anthropology, University of Hawaii at Manoa
"Cause and Effect: Responsibility for Social Disorder at the Porgera Gold Mine"
- October 2, 2014 - MER presents Professor Dan Jorgensen - Chair, Department of Anthropology
“First Phones in Last Places: Mobility and Cell Phone Use in Papua New Guinea”